Saturday, August 18, 2012

Holy Yogi!

Yoga has always fascinated me.  People breathing, and bending, and contorting their bodies into poses that clearly take alot of concentration and mental clarity all the while making it look effortless.

For as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to try that. I wanted to be one of those people that woke up early, practiced my Sun Salutations and got on with my day clearheaded, and relaxed.  Back in grade school, I even got a book from the library and tried to teach myself yoga sequences - unfortunately, I only got through the Sun Salutation and that was short-lived.

In high school, I looked up yoga classes online, only to realize that my $5.15 an hour part-time job would never be able to cover the cost.  By the time I hit college (which I am sure offered some sort of free yoga classes at the rec), I really didn't have too much faith that my body could move like that anymore and that is where I have been since than.

Today, I took the plunge.  I faced my nervousness, my "older" body and a whole lotta sweat and took my very first yoga class at Nishkama Yoga!  Ever since I first found them I have been eyeing the schedule - and once I saw that they were offering a Yoga for Athletes/Runners workshop, I knew I had to (wo)man up and get in there for that class.  While I love running, I cannot deny that it is hard on my body, and I have read enough information on how yoga can help stretch those muscles and also help with alignment, that I could not pass up the opportunity.  I ended up being out of town for the workshop, and immediately emailed to see if they would be holding another.  I was elated to see that they were, and signed up.

As I mentioned, I have never practiced yoga in a class setting, and I didn't want to jump headfirst into a two hour workshop with no knowledge as to what the hell I was doing, I thought it best to sign up for a basic yoga class prior to the workshop.  Fast forward to today, and I was a ball of nerves.  Thankfully, my BFF LOVES yoga, and begged offered to go with me.  We headed out bright and early this morning.  As were driving to the studio, we were chatting about what kind of people would be there, and if we would be comfortable in the setting.  (Side note: what I [thought] I knew of yoga classes was what I have seen on the TV... snooty, skinny, rich ladies that could contort with no effort and judge you by your Walmart workout gear.  I know, I know - that is judgy and stereotypical and horrible that I even wrote that - but I'm here to spill the truth people.  This also added to my stress of my first class).

To say that is what we encountered would be a COMPLETE LIE!  We were greeted warmly upon entering and I was happily surprised to see Alicia would be assisting in the class.  I know we really don't know one another IRL, but I felt a comfort in that I had not one, but two friends in the class with me.  (Another side note: I have read all about Alicia's journey to become a yogi, and she was actually one of my first running blogs I started following when I started my running journey.  And the fact that she is a local gal is just the icing on the cake. Keep it up girl!)

For the next hour, my mind and body did things I was not sure I could do, but I left feeling a sense of calm and belonging that I have never really had leaving any other group exercise setting.  I also could not wait to get home so I could check out the schedule for the next month and see what other classes I will be taking!  (Yet another side note:  To clear up my horrible yoga stereotype, it is soooo not true.  There were people of all different ages, and body types in the class.  While I was nervous about the class itself, I realized that the people around me were all there for the same thing - THEIR yoga.  Keeping it to the four corners of THEIR mat.  They didn't care what was happening on my mat, and I quickly learned that it only mattered what was happening for me ON MY MAT. Awesome.)

With all of that said, there a couple things I need to remember before my next class...

  1. Wash my feet before heading to class...  Disgusting right?! I know it! I am a true WVA hillbilly at heart and I tend to walk barefoot whenever I can - couple this with a pair of 5Below black flip flops that rub off on my tootsies, and you have some pretty nasty bottoms that no one should have to look at for 5 minutes, let alone an hour of class.  Lesson learned - which reminds me, I should probably get a pair of white flops.
  2. Bring a towel.  I pulled one out last night and completely forgot to put it in my bag. About 20 minutes in, and I was sweating out water I'm pretty sure I drank last week.  It's not pretty folks.
  3. Breath mint before class... Pretty self explanatory.  With all of that deep breathing and exhaling through my mouth - I know I don't want to smell my morning coffee... and I'm pretty sure no one else does either.
  4. And finally, WATER!  All of that stretching, sweating and chaturanga-ing makes for one thirsty bird once class lets out.  
BFF and I had an awesome conversation following the class that pretty much summed all of this up.  Special thanks to Stephanie and Alicia for helping us as 'beginners.'  The hands on instruction was HUGE and something that BFF told me is not anything she has ever had in a yoga class before.  It makes such a difference!  

If you're reading this, be sure to check them out.  I can't rave enough.  Maybe I'll see ya in class!

Until next time... Namaste!

3 comments:

Fizzgig said...

I work out a lot! I do cardio, running, and weights every day, but whenever I infrequently take a yoga class, I am sore for a week! It's much harder than people give it credit for. It's not hard core cardio, but it sure is hard!!

If your body is a temple, mine must be a mansion! said...

Yes, it is hard! And after Saturday, it has made me realize how much I need to work on my core and balance. All the more reason to head back this week ;-)

Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

Thank you so much for all the kind words! I'm honored that your first yoga class experience was with our community! It was a joy to finally meet you in real life and I'm excited to hear that I'll see you around the studio in the future.