Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My big black buddy

It has been a sad sad week over at the JMH house... 


Our buddy Vader was very sick when we got home from our little trip to PIB.  He was wobbling, and his belly was very distended.  When he couldn't walk down the stairs, eat or drink anything - we quickly mobilized and took him to the vet.  Turns out he had been losing muscle mass as his spine was very prominent (something our vet told us would happen as he got older) and his gums were not the proper color for a healthy kitty.  He was in alot of pain (we could tell by his eyes, his low, long meows and his unstable legs) - and after alot of questions, weighing options, and many many tears, we decided it best to not delay the inevitable and give him some release from the pain.

On Wednesday, July 25th at 7:55pm our buddy Vader went peacefully up to kitty heaven.  

He is sleeping in this one...
I didn't take any pics at the vet.
HARDEST DECISION EVER!

Sure, we could have kept him alive. As I told J, it would be tight, but the money should not be an issue.  We discussed it at length, but when your cat is 17, and there are just no guarantees - I don't think I could live with myself knowing that I selfishly kept him alive at a very limited capacity.  Yes, the other side of the coin kills me too - because although there were no guarantees, that means we MIGHT have had a chance to get him all patched up and back to his 17 year old self. What we did find out after he passed is that he most likely had a large tumor in his belly that burst causing the distention and pain.  I am confident we made the right choice for our buddy as I don't think he would have made it through the night anyhow.

Sad times people, sad times.  

Again, not dead, just doing his favorite activity aside from eating...
...just like his momma!
So, now we try to remember all of the good times with him, and laugh about silly stuff he used to do (especially on the cat nip=good stuff!), and even laugh about all of the bad stuff he would do (do you seriously need to poop behind our bar?!).  We get to bring him home today, and are on the lookout for the purrrr-fect urn for his new forever home.  

Pillow pet urn anyone... anyone?! 

BFF's!
We all miss him dearly, and while StinkerBelle is adjusting to being and only child, I know she misses her brother/playmate too!  

We love you and will miss you very much!  

Buddy Vader
August 1995 - June 25th, 2012

Run free now buddy!  

2 comments:

Fizzgig said...

aweeee!! what a pretty kitty!!

sending you cyber hugs!! I had to make that horrible decision twice, and sometimes I still second guess myself, years later, but it is a blessing to be able to end the suffering for them. I just wish when they are in so much pain they would just leave this earth on their own. ugh.

my heart breaks for you!!

If your body is a temple, mine must be a mansion! said...

Thanks, he was a beautiful kitty - our little panther! It's been hard, but we have him home now - so the healing can begin.