Tuesday, January 8, 2013

...My last confession was ... A blog dump



This is the post in which I completely ignore the fact that I have not updated since November 13th.

Not really... here's how the time was spent in a nutshell:

My FL vacation was wonderful, Thanksgiving was spent on the beach and laying out at the pool, it was hard to return to real life after 10 wonderful days, but luckily, we had a fun weekend planned.  OSU beat Michigan and we had one hell of a time celebrating.  The Browns beat the Steelers the next day and we again had one hell of time celebrating.  Back to work Monday where my liver proceeded to fall out of my bellybutton I began the countdown to Christmas.  Insert some more Browns games, some girls nights out, family Christmas parties, and the wonderful snow white rush of the holidays mixed with a fabulous New Year's Eve Party (if I must say so myself) ...aaannnnnddddd we are all caught up.

So now that we got that out of the way, I can start my confession(s) to the church of the internets.

"Bless me google for I have sinned.... "

My running and really any health changes have taken a backseat... this started back in September.  From September through December I ran an average of once a week (while some would argue that atleast I was doing something atleast once - this is not acceptable to me).  Don't even ask me about logging my meals/eating.  I had a "check-in" moment before I left for vacation and realized that I had gained back almost everything I lost (within 10 lbs of my highest weight).  It crushed me... I was working towards losing weight for the vacation (right?!  WTH?!) I reigned myself in on vacation and tried to make "healthier" choices (despite my ten day alcohol sun filled bender) and actually lost almost 5 lbs on vacation (I know, right?!).  I have not weighed myself since - but realize I am going to have to take this step along with some measurements and possibly "before" pics.

It is cold outside.  Normally I enjoy running in the cold - but there are days when I just need to sweat it out on the old treadmill.  I bought a treadmill over the summer (for a great deal) only to realize that it sits on an incline in standard position (probably 1-1.5%), and only increases speeds in intervals of .5 mph.  I put it in my basement with pipe dreams of using it all the time while catching up on episodes of my fave trash TV.  That is so not how it is.  I have used it a handful of times - but the incline really screws with me as I normally run a 0% on the TM at the gym.  I feel like I am working VERY hard to catch my breath (which might also be a result of my musty old basement) and it is just not an enjoyable.  I have the complete opposite experience when I hit the gym and hop on one of the Lifetime Fitness TM's that sync with my HRM and run so smooth on 0% incline.  Bottom line - I strongly dislike running on my treadmill at home.  I might even strongly dislike this particular treadmill itself.*

So, with my activity and eating habits at an all time low - what is my penance?

With the help of a friend, I started my training plan for The Rite Aid Cleveland 1/2 Marathon in May.  To my surprise, my first long run was quite the success!  I feel good about the plan thus far, and am happy to have some guidance along the way.  (He is/has been a great asset for me when it comes to running and training - be sure to check out his website in the next couple of weeks as it will be re-launched and offering his free running program - this is how I got started, and if he can help me run, he can help anyone!)




I committed to 5 by 5th Virtual Race Series which means I am going to be completing a race (organized or virtual) by the 5th of every month.  The series goes until June - and also runs hand in hand with 13 in 2013.  However, I am only concentrating on one month at a time.  You can look for my first virtual race result from Saturday soon.  This is very doable and coincides well with my 1/2 mary training.


bootcamp_large
Lastly, one of my 2013 goals is to incorporate more cross training/strength/core work and yoga into my training as well as for the everyday benefits.  I purchased a 10 class pass to Nishkama Yoga and can't wait to get back (they closed down the location closer to my house at the end of December - and I have not made it back to the other location as of yet).  In December I also registered for Best Body Bootcamp.  This is 8 weeks of plans delivered to me via email along with check-in's and a support group on FB.  This will help with strength and core work that I desperately need!

I am confident that I have myself set up with a pretty solid plan here.  The key is to plan and execute over the next month.  One day at a time, right?

What are your plans to make 2013 your year?

*Don't tell J.  He made a big deal out of me getting the treadmill (even though it came out of my fun money - not his) and he still teases me about not using it.  At this point, I will still use it just on principal alone... and hey, the incline can only help in the long run, right? (no pun intended).

1 comment:

Fizzgig said...

best of luck on your first half marathon! for me it was the best moment, crossing that finish line, it's something not many people can, or try to do, and the first time, is amazing!!!